We ended up choosing Japanese boxwoods from Home Depot because of how easy they are to maintain, plus they’re a low maintenance kind of shrub/hedge. At first I bought 12 small boxwood plants, then I ended up going back and buying 8 heftier/larger boxwoods. My tip? Buy shrubs/hedges that are large so you won’t be waiting (and waiting) for them to grow. After that, my hubby dug out a trench for the border to fit snug. To be green and to save money, we simply reused the border that was there.Then, it’s time to start planting! (Here’s my hubby switching podcasts or something) I will say I am glad I invested LOTS of time in spacing out the boxwoods properly. It gives it a polished look. We purposefully planted the boxwoods a bit past the center point so we could have enough room to plant annuals or perennials (flowers) in front should we choose to. Once all 8 boxwoods were good and planted, we covered the entire area with this landscape fabric (we found it cheapest online versus a big box store). To get the boxwoods through the fabric, I simply cut an X using a utility knife in the general boxwood area (so I had 8 X’s) and pushed the fabric down around the base of the boxwood. The fabric wasn’t wide enough, so we had to cut some additional strips. The landscape fabric is secured to each other/the dirt with some landscaping pins. Next we poured 24 bags of red rubber mulch over the fabric. The rubber mulch was quite the investment, but we like that it is an earth friendly product that will last us years and years. Note- we sold our house in 2016 and the mulch was still in great shape and hadn’t faded. There’s no way I’d want to replace mulch every year, so this was a well thought out splurge. And finally, we are done! I love, love, love it!! I’ve been thinking and dreaming about this project for years, and I’m so proud of the value and curb appeal it gives our home. I am always proud of my home, but I’ve always been a bit ashamed at the lackluster exterior. Not anymore. Here’s a quick before & after:
Then I marked/spaced out where the shrubs would be planted. The area we landscaped is about 5’x26′, so I wanted to make sure they were spaced out evenly. Using a post hole digger and a shovel, we dug holes about twice as large as the root ball of the boxwoods and added in some high quality topsoil mixed in with the native soil (as directed). We also added in some fertilizer to help the process along.